NDOT Announces I-80 Ramp Closures West of Reno as Part of Continuing Interstate Improvements
CARSON CITY, Nev. – Overnight ramp closures will take place on Interstate 80 west of Reno this weekend as part of a continuing Nevada Department of Transportation project to repave and enhance the interstate.
- McCarran Boulevard on-ramp to I-80 westbound will be closed from 9 pm Saturday, June 30 through 5 am Sunday, July 1 and again 9 pm Sunday, July 1 through 5 am Monday, July 2. Marked detours available.
- I-80 eastbound off-ramp to Robb Drive will be closed from 5 pm Sunday, July 1 through 5 am Monday, July 2. Marked detours available.
The closures are part of an NDOT project to resurface both directions of I-80 between Keystone Avenue in Reno and the Nevada-California border. Approximately four inches of the roadway surface will be removed and repaved on more than 12 miles of interstate.
As part of the project, additional overnight lane and ramp closures will take place on Interstate 80 west of Reno. Through late 2019, drivers will see the following road work on both directions of I-80 from Keystone Avenue west to the state line:
- Overnight single lane closures will take place weekdays 7 p.m. to 7 a.m., with periodic evening and overnight lane and ramp closures on weekends
- Construction will take place spring-fall 2018 and spring-fall 2019, with a winter construction shutdown
- While paving work will predominantly take place on westbound I-80 in 2018 and on eastbound I-80 in 2019, drivers should anticipate single lane closures in both direction of interstate during both construction seasons for drainage and other road improvements
- One lane of interstate will remain open in each direction during construction
- Overnight interstate ramp closures will also take place
- Travel delays of no more than 30 minutes are to be expected through the work zoneNDOT currently places “Wrong Way” signs on all interstate ramps to notify drivers errantly entering in the wrong direction. Additional flashing warning signals and detection systems will be added to I-80 ramps in the area as a highly-visible and additional indication to help stop drivers from entering the wrong way, ultimately enhancing freeway safety.
Merge lanes will also be lengthened from West Fourth Street to westbound I-80 near Mogul and the Gold Ranch exit to eastbound I-80, as well as certain other exits. Several roadside shoulders will be widened and roadside barrier rail improvements made as well. As part of NDOT’s dedication to preserving the quality of stormwater crossing state roadways, roadside drainage and water treatment features will be enhanced.
The more than $42 million in improvements by contractor Q&D Construction will enhance the interstate for the as many as 79,000 motorists who travel it daily.
Project information is available at I80RenoWest.com or by calling (775) 870-8080. Community members can text I80RenWest to 797979 or log onto I80RenoWest.com
to sign up for the project text and e-mail alerts on project-related lane and ramp closures. The alerts are free, excluding usage charges imposed by providers.